About Me

My photo
I AM: wife to 1, mother to 3, sister to 2 and 5 steps, aunt to 27, not-so-much-a-chocoholic-anymore, coffee loving, cloth diapering wanna be (my youngest potty trained herself recently), friend to many.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

GROSS!

Who knew the previous post and this one would be related? Related how? They both have to do with FISH. The last one was about "Fish Eyes". This one? The lack there of. Ready for this? I wasn't!!!
My daughter left for camp yesterday. And like a good little girl she asked me to please remember to feed her fish (2 fish) while she's away. And like a bad mommy, last night I forgot. But tonight I remembered. To set the stage, the fish tank is not my domain. I don't know how to clean it, I don't know how to maintain it, and I LIKE IT THAT WAY. My daughter's room is a tropical theme, and my husband insisted there be a fish tank to complete the decor. The only thing I do with that tank is add water. Period. The last few days I have noticed a funky smell lurking in that room. And like a good mama, I just close the door. I do have to mention that 2 weeks ago that room got a thorough cleaning (aside of the fish tank), and there is no food allowed in the bedrooms, and we don't have any other animals, so I wasn't really concerned about what was causing the smell. I did notice the tank is growing some nice algae and told my hubby its in need of a scrub. There. I did my part. Right? Stage is set. On with the story. Tonight I opened the door and got a whiff of the unpleasant aroma but went on over to feed the fish. I opened the lid and at first glance thought the pretty fish was so excited for food flakes that it was meeting me at the top. Then the little light bulb in my head went off and I realized the fishy was belly up. I went to grab a bag so I could dispose of him (too big to flush) (I mean, this fish was a hand me down from another family who had had it for like 7 years!) and when I got back and got the scooper thingy and scooped out the fish, I noticed his head was gone. There was spine a danglin', but no head, and therefore no fish eyes. again I say GROSS!!!! How long does it take for one fish to eat THAT MUCH of another? Did my daughter just not pay attention? I am wondering if maybe she hasn't been feeding them, so the fish had a dual to see who the cannibal would be. I hope she isn't broken hearted when she gets home. I really am not. I am not going to rush out and buy another fish so she won't notice. I am going to petition to my husband to clean the tank. And maybe ask him to find another home for the fish eater so we can just move the tank out. I am now going to go to bed with visions of fish spine in my head. Nighty night!

2 comments:

  1. Tara, you crack me up! Hope your daughter has an okay time dealing with her loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your well wishes. I hope she does ok too. Really, if she didn't notice it belly up, she might not even notice if its gone... lol

    ReplyDelete

Followers